Located on the southeast Pomerol plateau, L’Évangile was one of the first vineyards planted in the Pomerol appellation. By the turn of the 19th century, the estate stretched 13 hectares (today it spans 22 hectares of sandy clay soil with pure gravel). It was purchased by Paul Chaperon in 1862, and his descendants, the Ducasse family, looked after the estate until 1990, when it was acquired by Domaines Barons de Rothschild (of Château Lafite-Rothschild), who have refined the expression of the Grand Vin, and re-envisioned the vat rooms and cellar, which were completely renovated in 2004 to be better equipped for plot selection. Sixth-generation winemaker Saskia de Rothschild and her team currently watch over and care for the vines, which include Merlot and Cabernet Franc, and which are now farmed organically. Wines are made with a combination of traditional and modern methods and matured in oak barrels for 18 months, and typically consist of 80% Merlot (which contribute to the body and robust flavor) and 20% Cabernet Franc, adding finesse and structure to the final blend.